Thursday, November 12, 2009

Events of 2009

Still 2 months before the end of 2009, but already a very eventful year for me.

I started 2009 as a B734 captain with MAS, as well as an IP (instructor pilot). Then things started to go downhill.

Early this year I wa ready for promotion to a higher fleet. According to the office there will be 2 choices this year; B744 or A330. I didn't want to go to B744 fleet as the fleet is downsizing and will be phased out. Not exactly though; the 2 freighters will still be around. And I don't want to finish off my career flying only freighters. Been there, done that, and it is not exactly what I really want to do.

So I bid for the A330. And got accepted. Good news? Not really, as the day after I got the A330 promotion, news comes out that the 2 B744 classes are being canceled. To be replaced by B777 classes! The coveted triple seven slots, the one I've been waiting for 2 years, and I missed it by days!

Started the A330 ground school in April. The CBT and classes went smoothly. The sim sessions were delayed by about a month. I started the sim sessions by late June, and things started to go downhill. I just cannot adapt the the Airbus way of flying. A few sessions were repeated. By late July I felt I won't be able to finish the course. The fleet office and myself, independently, decided that it is better for me to not continue with the course and go back to my previous fleet instead. Bye bye A330 fleet.

A missed opportunity, sure. But although I was unhappy for not making it to the A330 fleet, the greater regret is that I didn't know that there will be the B777 promotion this year. Compared to the A330, the B777 fleet has better route, better working condition, relatively easier conversion from the B737. And like it or not, more glamor.

Anyway, here I am back on the B734 fleet. For failing a conversion, no fleet movement for the next 2 years. What are my options now? We'll see in 2 years time.

2 comments:

NAS said...

bro radzi..
nak tanye skit bleh?
nape ada 737 kat kuching aport park kat bawah kanopi tepi taxi way tu dah lama dh bgerak?

nak spray baru ke apa?

Shahir said...

hi,

i'm shahir, actually i liked a330 very much.

i went for flight simulator experience at mas fctc subang last year (september) and flown the simulator for only one hour very good.

by the way, i'm interested to become a pilot.

shahir13@tm.net.my